- Pedro Cabán “Puerto Rico’s long fall from ‘shining star’ to the ‘Greece’ of the Caribbean” The Conversation June 12, 2015
- Sherrie L. Baver, The Political Economy of Colonialism: The State and Industrialization in Puerto Rico (Praeger, 1993).
- Déborah Berman Santana, Kicking Off the Bootstraps: Environment, Development, and Community Power in Puerto Rico (University of Arizona Press, 1996).
- Frank Bonilla and Ricardo Campos, Industry and Idleness (Centro de Estudios Puertorriqueños, 1986).
- Diane Lourdes Dick, “U.S. Tax Imperialism in Puerto Rico,” American University Law Review (2015).
- James Dietz, Economic History of Puerto Rico: Institutional Change and Capitalist Development (Princeton University Press, 1986).
- Emilio Pantojas-García, Development Strategies as Ideology: Puerto Rico’s Export-Led Industrialization Experience (Boulder: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 1990).
- Argeo T. Quiñones-Pérez and Ian J. Seda-Irizarry, “Wealth Extraction, Governmental Servitude, and Social Disintegration in Colonial Puerto Rico,” New Politics (2016).
- Rafael Bernabe, “Puerto Rico’s New Era: A Crisis in Crisis Management,” NACLA Report on the Americas (2007).
- Frank Bonilla and Ricardo Campos, “A Wealth of Poor: Puerto Ricans in the New Economic Order,” Daedalus (1981).
- Pedro A. Cabán, “The Colonial State and Capitalist Expansion in Puerto Rico: An Historical Overview,” Boletín del Centro de Estudios Puertorriqueños (1989).
- Héctor Cordero-Guzmán, “The Production and Reproduction of Poverty in Puerto Rico,” Poverty in Puerto Rico: A Socioeconomic and Demographic Analysis with Data from the Puerto Rico Community Survey (Inter American University of Puerto Rico, 2016)
- James Dietz, Puerto Rico: Negotiating Development and Change (Boulder: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2003).
- Helen Icken Safa, The Urban Poor of Puerto Rico: A Study in Development and Inequality (Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, 1974).
- Mi santa mirada Directed by Álvaro Aponte Centeno, 15 mins, 2012
- Progreso, Directed by José Morales, 66 mins, 2006