To delve even deeper into the topics above, we recommend the following books, articles, and media accounts. Have suggestions? Please write or tweet us to share!
Historical Context for the Debt Crisis
- Germà Bel, “The First Privatisation Policy in Latin America: Selling State-Owned Enterprises in 1948-1950 Puerto Rico,” Journal of Iberian and Latin American Economic History (2011).
- Arlene Dávila, Sponsored Identities: Cultural Politics in Puerto Rico (Temple University Press, 1997).
- Alexa S. Dietrich, The Drug Company next Door: Pollution, Jobs, and Community Health in Puerto Rico (NYU Press, 2013).
- Eileen Findlay, We Are Left Without a Father Here: Masculinity, Domesticity, and Migration in Postwar Puerto Rico (Duke University Press, 2014).
- Alyosha Goldstein, “The Attributes of Sovereignty: The Cold War, Colonialism, and Community Education in Puerto Rico,” in Imagining Our Americas: Toward a Transnational Frame (Duke University Press, 2007).
- Alfred W. McCoy and Francisco A. Scarano, eds., The Colonial Crucible: Empire in the Making of the Modern American State (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2009).
- Sidney Mintz, Worker in the Cane: A Puerto Rican Life History (WW Norton & Company, 1974).
- Ann Zulawski, “Urban Development, Public Health, and the Environment: A Historical Case Study in San Juan, Puerto Rico and the Possibilities for the Future,” Brown Journal of World Affairs (2016).
The Explosion of the Debt Crisis
- “‘A Dark Day for the People of Puerto Rico’: U.S. Senate Moves to OK ‘Colonial Control Board,’ Democracy Now, June 29, 2016.
- Greg Allen and Ray Suarez, “Mixed Reaction In Puerto Rico To New Financial Oversight Board,” NPR, July 2, 2016.
- Joel Cintrón Arbasetti, “The crisis in Puerto Rico fills politicians and lobbyists’ pockets in the United States,” Centro de Periodismo Investigativo, December 9, 2015.
- Michael Corkery and Mary Williams Walsh, “Puerto Rico’s Governor Says Island’s Debts Are ‘Not Payable,’” New York Times, June 28, 2015.
- Ricardo Cortés Chico, “La Austeridad Como Receta Ha Sido Desacreditada,” El Nuevo Día, April 23, 2017.
- José A. Delgado, “Obama convierte en ley el proyecto PROMESA,” El Nuevo Día, June 30, 2016.
- “Foro Digital: Reforma Laboral y Economía en Puerto Rico,” interview with Puerto Rican Economist Dr. José Caraballo Cueto (2017).
- Leani García “What Puerto Rico really needs” Americas Quarterly April 27, 2017
- Juan Gonzalez, “Obama will appoint members to board tasked with saving Puerto Rico from financial disaster,” New York Daily News, August 31, 2016.
- Ed Morales, “Puerto Rico’s Dance With Debt,” Jacobin, June 14, 2015.
- Ed Morales, “Puerto Rico in crisis: weighed down by $73bn debt as unemployment hits 14%,” The Guardian, June 28, 2015.
- Ed Morales, “Puerto Rico’s intensifying debt crisis has residents bracing for the worst,” The Guardian, July 1, 2015
- Ed Morales, “Is an Obama Donor Tying the President’s Hands on Puerto Rico’s Debt Crisis?” The Nation, August 19, 2015.
- Ed Morales, “Who is Responsible for Puerto Rico’s Debt?,” The Nation, June 7, 2016.
- Maritza Stanchich, “Puerto Rico’s Symbolic Power,” The Huffington Post, July 31, 2015.
- Sam Thielman, “Puerto Rico’s governor tells US Senate the island cannot repay debts,” The Guardian, December 1, 2015.
- Mary Williams Walsh and Michael Corkery, “Behind Puerto Rico’s Woes, a Broadly Powerful Development Bank,” New York Times, November 29, 2015.
The Question of Sovereignty
- Ana M. López and Gabriela Reardon, “Puerto Rico at the United Nations,” NACLA Report on the Americas (2007).
- Jorge Manuel Díaz Rodríguez, “¿Soberanía? Solamente En El Deporte,” La Cordillera. Accessed April 27, 2017.
- Daniel Marans, “The Supreme Court Could Throw A Lifeline To Debt-Swamped Puerto Rico,” Huffington Post, March 22, 2016.
- Mario Ramos Méndez, “El Juego Del Olimpismo,” elVocero. July 22, 2016.
- Richard Wolf, “Puerto Rico Not Sovereign, Supreme Court Says,” USA TODAY. June 9, 2016.
Infrastructural Collapse and Everyday Crisis
- Alex Figueroa Cancel, “Governor Declares State of Emergency,” El Nuevo Día, September 22, 2016.
- Mary Williams Walsh “How Free Electricity Helped Dig a $9 billion hole in Puerto Rico,” New York Times, February 1, 2016.
Huyendo: Fleeing Crisis
- Simone Delerme, “The Latinization of Orlando: Language, Whiteness, and the Politics of Place,” Centro: Journal of the Center for Puerto Rican Studies (2013).
- Alan Yuhas, “Economic exodus means two-thirds of Puerto Ricans may soon live in states,” The Guardian, July 2, 2015.
- Cindy Y. Rodriguez, “Why more Puerto Ricans are living in mainland U.S. than in Puerto Rico,” CNN, March 24, 2014.
- EFE, “Éxodo boricua: Emigración reduce población de Puerto Rico,” El Diario, March 31, 2016.
- “La migración en Puerto Rico alcanza récord histórico,” Primera Hora, February 2, 2017.
- “89,000 boricuas emigraron de la Isla a Estados Unidos,” El Nuevo Día, February 5, 2017.
- EFE, “Puertorriqueños enfrentan gigante tasa de desempleo en Orlando” Primera Hora, July 23, 2016.
- “Central Florida Votes Puerto Rican: The Future of a Swing State and the Island in One Vote,” Feet in 2 Worlds, October 24, 2016.
- “Puerto Ricans mourning attack on Orlando club,” Fox News, June 18, 2016.
- Brian Latimer, Suzanne Gamboa, and Sandra Lilley, “Latino Community Hit Hard in Orlando Shootings, Most Victims Were Hispanic” NBC News, June 13, 2016.
- Patricia Silver, “‘Culture Is More Than Bingo and Salsa’: Making Puertorriqueñidad in Central Florida,” Centro: Journal of the Center for Puerto Rican Studies (2010).
- Victor Vázquez-Hernández, “The Boricua Triangle:Tampa, Miami and Orlando- A Historical Overview of the Development of a Transnational Puerto Rican Diaspora in Florida,” FCH Annals: Journal of the Florida Conference of Historians (2015).
- Patricia Silver, “Puerto Ricans in Florida,” In Puerto Ricans at the Dawn of the New Millennium (New York: CENTRO, 2014).
Puerto Rico’s New Millionaires
- Lauren Gensler “Treasure Island: Puerto Rico Bids To Become New Age Tax Haven” Forbes, February 11, 2015
- Patrick Gillespie “Why Puerto Rico attracts billionaires despite economic woes” CNN Money, August 5, 2015
- Janet Novack “Puerto Rico expands Tax Haven Deal for Americans to its own Emigrants,” Forbes January 27, 2015.
- Alan Yuhas “Puerto Rico debt crisis: austerity for residents, but tax breaks for hedge funds,” The Guardian July 25, 2015.
Resistance and New Imaginaries
- “Amnesty International Demands Safety of Fiscal Board Protesters,” Caribbean Business, July 3, 2016.
- Fermín Arraiza, “La Junta, la huelga, las máscaras,” El Nuevo Día, April 18, 2017.
- Hermes Ayala, “No cesa la resistencia: ‘se acabaron las promesas,’” Diálogo, August 19, 2016.
- José S. Coss Charriez, “A desnudar a los culpables de la deuda,” El Nuevo Día, April 17, 2017.
- Alex Figueroa Cancel, “No se rinden opositores de la Ley PROMESA,” El Nuevo Dia, July 5, 2016.
- Alex Figueroa Cancel, “Sigue en pie campamento contra la junta de control fiscal,” El Nuevo Día, July 4, 2016.
- Jorge Figueroa Loza, “Popular monoestrellada del Viejo San Juan amanece de luto,” Primera Hora, July 5, 2016.
- Guillermo R. Gil, “The Way Students Strike in Puerto Rico,” CounterPunch, March 31, 2017.
- Maribel Hernández Pérez, “Intensa candela por la Promesa,” Primera Hora, September 1, 2016.
- “Jóvenes piden respaldo en marcha contra la Junta de Control Fiscal,” El Vocero, July 2, 2016.
- “Manifestantes paralizan acceso a foro sobre Promesa,” Univision, August 31, 2016.
- “Ongoing Puerto Rico Protest Camp Blasts ‘Colonial’ PROMESA Bill,” TeleSur, July 12, 2016.
- “Police Pepper Spray Debt Crisis Protesters in Puerto Rico as Bankruptcy Looms,” Yahoo! News, April 18, 2017.
- Julio Ricardo Varela, “Protesters Camped Outside Federal Courthouse in Puerto Rico Vow to Remain,” Latino USA, July 5, 2016.
- Catherine Morris, “Puerto Rico’s Financial Crisis Wallops University System,” Diverse Issues in Higher Education, May 10, 2017.
- Melisa Ortega Marrero, “Estudiantes de la UPR de Río Piedras deciden culminar la huelga,” El Nuevo Día, June 5, 2017.
- Karla Sanabria Véaz, “Una huelga de país,” Diálogo UPR, June 11, 2017.